Image Map

9.08.2011

Chicago top ten: Experiences (Part IV)


Shopping at Whole Foods

Sometime last winter, Alex and I decided to watch Food, Inc. Big mistake. Or not so big mistake, in the end. But at first, it made me sick.  

I was so repulsed by everything in that film, from the inhumane treatment of animals to the inhumane treatment of humans to the poorly handled food products that I promised myself I'd change my own behavior, starting with the food I purchase. 

And I did. And this eating makeover brought me to Whole Foods. Alex and I started shopping there almost exclusively, choosing organic, free range, and fair trade items whenever possible. Let me tell you, if you haven't been to the Lincoln Park Whole Foods, you haven't lived. This is like the mecca of ethical shopping. The store is enormous, and on any given Saturday or Sunday you can find about a million free samples scattered about. Tortilla chips and fresh guac! Chunks of brie smeared with fruit preserves! Wine sampling stations!


It was heaven. We made it a weekly ritual, and though our grocery bill went sky-frickin-high when we started shopping at Whole Foods, we didn't care. We felt so much better about what we were eating, and it felt like a treat every week just to pull out our shopping list. Most shopping days started with a trip to the bar, beer for him, wine for me, before we took off, drinks-in-hand, to fill our cart. At the end of our spree, we'd head over to the restaurant section and spend forever agonizing over what to bring home for dinner. Deli? Diner? Taqueria? Pizzeria? Who could choose?

We usually went with the buffet-style prepared foods, like sweet potato chunks, roasted Brussels sprouts, beets for him (blech for me), cold quinoa or kale salads, or grilled veggies. Yum, yum, yum. 

We've gone a bit astray in the past month or so, as we try to pinch our pennies for impending unemployment. But we actually have some big plans for the coming months, which you'll hear about at a bit of a later date. Here's hoping that the Whole Foods in western Mass. is half as good as the one we fell in love with here. 

Some of our favorite Whole Foods booty:



Veggies and mushrooms and fruit, oh my!



Mixed greens with dried cranberries, slivered dry roasted almonds,  and feta.
Homemade balsamic vinaigrette on top.
 

Portobello veggie burgers on whole grain buns. Plus provolone!



First day at PAWS

Back last winter, back when I was trying to find productive ways to fill my cold, dull days while Alex was out of town, I decided to get involved with PAWS Chicago, a massive animal rescue and adoption effort in Chicagoland. The fact that PAWS is a no-kill shelter was the first selling point. The idea of walking other dogs to help keep me from missing my McKensie was the second. And the off-chance I'd show up one day to a batch of spankin-new puppies? I didn't even dare to dream it. 

And yet, it happened. My very first day on the "job."











Let me tell you about these little lovers. They were born to a momma named Valentine, and then rescued from a puppy farm somewhere in Missouri. I won't get into the vileness of puppy farms -- if you don't know, look them up for yourself. But the pups were little tiny angels. There must have been a dozen of them, and as soon as I entered their little room, they were all over me. They wanted attention and affection, and lots of it. They wanted to sleep in my arms, crawl in my lap, eat my sweatshirt strings. I don't know that I did much "volunteering" that day, besides wiping up a few puppy poops, but no one seemed to care. Those PAWS peeps were just happy to have someone to keep the little buggers occupied for a few hours. 

That day, I took turns playing with the puppies and walking some of the older dogs. The pups were still too young for outdoor strolls, but Valentine was psyched for a chance to stretch her legs. By the end of the day, when I got back from my last walk, there were only two puppies left. All the rest had been fostered out. I didn't mind too much. I was glad to see them find a home (and frankly, to see them find a home before I could rationalize bringing them all back to my home). 

That day was pure bliss for me. It made me think very seriously of trying to find a full-time job in an animal shelter or veterinary clinic. I still think about it, from time to time, though I know that I'd have a really hard time watching some of the tough stuff, like animals that have suffered abuse, or sick babes that have to be put down. Yikes. I'd lose it. 

In my months of volunteering, I never hit the puppy jackpot again. I did get to walk a few very young, cuddly pups, but none quite as new to the world as those little fuzzies. It was just perfect timing, and an overall perfect day.


No comments: