Image Map

7.26.2011

A blog is born

So I sent my mom a copy of my first blog post to review. Basically, she said I was trying too hard.


And also, that I need some kind of hook.


But I don’t have a hook. And waiting for that inspiration to hit me will pretty much guarantee this blog is never born.


I considered movie reviews. That was the subject of my first blog, launched in 2009. It’s still up, but the URL includes my full name, and since I’ve decided to stay relatively anonymous with this blog, I think I’ll keep it to myself for the time being. But maybe I’ll revisit the later and you can take a peek.


So anyway, I don’t have time to watch a movie a day, and I don’t have the money to catch all the new releases.


I thought about a style blog, which is the kind I read most often myself (i.e. obsessively), but only because I’m sort of wardrobally challenged. I have a ton of stuff and not a clue how to put any of it together. Plus, I’m kind of a boring dresser. I usually end up in some variation of a tee-shirt or sweater and jeans, depending on the season. And that’s no fun for you.


Then I considered a) a blog about learning to cook, which I’m doing, slowly but surely. Or b) a blog about decorating my apartment, which I’m doing, slowly but surely. But the slowly part’s the problem. I don’t cook a meal every night, because I’m not home every night. And I have pretty limited freedom to redecorate my little bitty rental apartment. I mean, it’s not like I can pull out the kitchen cabinets and start from scratch. So both of these options would rule out regular updates and fresh material.


So in the end, I decided to write a little bit of all of the above. I’m doing it mostly for me, and hoping you’ll find something for you here too.


I’ll write about anything my little heart desires. And I’m determined to decorate this blog with fantastic photography, even though I don’t know the first thing about taking pictures. For the time being, the art will be a combination of my amateur effort and my boyfriend’s bona-fide artwork. He’s an actual, trained photographer and I think his work is pretty amazing. And thanks to a little strong-arming he’s agreed to help with the visuals while I get this thing going.


This blog has been months in the making, and I can’t wait to get started. I hope you'll join me!

No comments: