Image Map

7.27.2011

Book report: Room


Summary:
Told from the perspective of a five-year-old child, this book focuses on a mother and son who have lived out his entire life in the confines of a single room. They've developed a routine that includes exercise, television, and an activity in which they both scream towards a skylight, the only window in the room. It quickly develops that Ma has been locked up in the room against her will, and gave birth to little Jack sometime after her capture.

Opinion: I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of spoilers. I like to stretch out the anticipation for as long as I can. I'm not a "flip to the last page to find out what happens in the end" kind of gal. But you've likely bumped into the story of Room on the news, the internet, or browsing through your favorite trashy tabloid. It was inspired by the even-more-horrifying true story of a woman imprisoned for some two decades. By her father. Yes, yuck. You're right. You can't stomach it. Which might make you think you can't stomach Room either. But I say it's worth a shot. This novel has so much more to offer than a voyeuristic glimpse into a young woman's nightmare. It's really an extraordinary book about the extremes a mother will go to in order to protect her child. I find myself doubting whether anyone can live through such trauma and stake out a "normal" life afterwards. The jury's still out for Ma. But thanks to her heroic efforts, there's hope yet for Jack.

No comments: