Image Map

8.11.2011

Eastbound


I told you I suck at this:

One. Week. Later.

And I have already turned their care over to Alex. No use. All I have to do is look at a plant and it dies. I think they must decide that suicide-by-withering is a less agonizing death than the underwatering they'd suffer at the hands of moi.

But moving on.

I have news.
I'm moving. Again.
'Member how I told you I kind of move around a lot? Well, I'm at it again.
Alex and I both gave notice at our jobs this week. It's been an interesting year in Chicago, but in the end, it just wasn't for us.

Speaking for myself, it's just too far from my family, my friends, my pup, and the ocean.

Yeah, I miss this guy.
That's the lovely Makonikey Beach, Martha's Vineyard

And that's my cute boyfriend trying to get a picture of it. Um, danger.


We're planning to settle in Western Mass., so it's not like we'll be able to walk to the beach every day, but the Cape and the coast will be oh-so-close, and I'm sure there will be many weekend visits to our old Island home.

But in the meantime, I have visions of apple picking dancing in my head. Real apple cider, Vermont maple syrup, cozy sweaters, a crackling fireplace and snow-tipped trees -- it all looks so appealing in the Massachusetts of my memories and imagination.

I've never lived in Western Mass., but my family has, for some time, and there will be lots of my relatives nearby. I predict weekends of drinking wine and cracking jokes with my cousin Erin, live music from my favorite folksy ladies at the Iron Horse with my Auntie Kate, and enormous, indulgent five-course dinners with my Aunt Ginny.

And the best possible news about this move, apart from the fact that it means I get to start pursuing something professionally that has been tossing about in my mind for years, is that there will also be plenty of space and time for a pup, and we're mapping out plans to reclaim my little angel from my mom.

I've told Alex to be prepared. This is how she generally reacts to boys:

My friend Dave. What a trooper.

I can't wait to have her back. It still feels like a long way off, since we've agreed to settle in a bit before we bring her home. And of course, I'm always skeptical of things I want so much. I don't think I'll be convinced it will actually happen until she's back to hogging my bed every night.

But it sure gives me something huge to be excited about, and the cherry on top of the pile of exciting things to come.





1 comment:

Mary Beth Horsington said...

That little McKensie is such a damn flirt. No shame!

And I can't wait to have you back on this coast. And one more excuse to hit the turnpike, heading east.