Image Map

8.29.2011

Style guru

Last Wednesday, I finally got to meet the first style blogger I ever started following.

Back way in 2009, I was in the midst my own initial {*ahem* amateur} efforts at blogging, and I began trolling the internet for experts in the field.

So, despite the fact that my blog consisted of movie reviews, that's when I found style bloggers.
And that's when I found Jessica.
Jessica Quirk, for those of you who don't know, is a style blogger at What I Wore, a sort of daily fashion journal.

Now, I'm a clearance rack shopper. A tee-shirt and jeans kind of girl. In the summer, I throw on a dress and I'm done. You won't catch me sporting an animal print, and I don't do ruffles. A colorful scarf is about the most daring accessory you'll find on me.

But I love to see the way other girls dress. It fascinates me.

Jessica is like the epitome of chic in my book, and yet her clever outfits just seem more accessible, somehow, than other style bloggers and icons of the fashion world. I can actually wear some of the things she posts. I generally tone them down a bit, but still.

In the two-plus years I've been following Jessica, she just seems to have been on a steady path of success. Early on, she was able to quit her day job in the fashion industry and pursue her blog full time. She met and married her sweetheart, Adam, who now also takes her daily photos, and they moved together from New York City back to her native Indiana. And she wrote and published a book. Girl is living the dream!

When I found out she was coming to Chicago for a book signing, I RSVP'd to her event ASAP. My last few weeks in the city, and I'm going out with a bang, dammit.

It was held at Julie Watson Style at the very fawncy 900 N. Michigan Shops, and the event was complete with free champagne {with berries!}, finger foods, and dessert.

I met some awesome fellow bloggers, picked up a copy of her book, and got to sit down for a few minutes with Jessica, who looked fabulous in her multicolored, floaty Marc Jacobs dress.


Jessica at her Chicago book signing.
Photo via

Unfortunately, I only got one fuzzy shot of her on my own camera {and by camera, I mean phone}. She still looks lovely, in my opinion, but it was snapped while she was buzzing past. Not the best photo op.

Candid shot


I took some other randoms at the event, the most important being the one of the Jelly Belly-filled martini glasses. Best party snack ever, if you ask me.




And a few of the general scene:




Sweet treats


Bubbly

As you can see, I've discovered the Instagram app and now I fancy myself a photographer. So sue me. It's so much fun!!

I'm so grateful I got the chance to meet Jessica. And even though I acted like a total SPAZ when I sat down with her {hey, I was nervous! She's famous!} she was just completely sweet and gracious.

And so much blog girl crush continues...

No comments: