Image Map

8.18.2011

Chicago top ten: Food


At first, I imagined this post would be a list of my favorite eats and experiences from my year in Chicago. But then it occurred to me that those two topics could be divided into two separate categories. Then my dad gave me the idea of listing things I didn't get to do. Things I imagined doing here, but never did. And then I realized, one list just wouldn't cut it.

So here's a list of my favorite Chicago eateries. But in the interest of giving myself some more material to work with, I'm dividing it into two separate posts. More to come tomorrow.


10. Red Hen Bread - 1623 N. Milwaukee

This was one of the first sandwich shops I entered after we moved into our apartment in Wicker Park. I was waiting for the library to open, and this little bakery is right down the street. I was drawn in by the free wireless internet sign. I couldn't get online, but I did find out they make a damn good turkey sandwich. My favorite is the Red Hen Turkey. The cherry dijon mustard is the perfect touch. I've also discovered (through free samples, to be fair) that they make killer brownies and breads -- like the sweet kinds, made with oranges and cranberries and whatnot. The sandwich bread is very good too. The shop is named for its bread, after all.



9. Hopleaf - 5148 N. Clark


I actually went to Hopleaf with my dad on my very first visit to Chicago, back in 2008. We split a sandwich before a show in a little theater around the corner. The sandwich was great. The show was not. A couple months ago, my book club met here and I immediately recognized the place for its cozy interior -- exposed brick walls and a wood burning stove in the middle of the dining room. I ordered the mac & cheese, which is one of my favorite comfort foods. Very, very good, and very rich. I've never tried it, but I also hear the CB&J (like a PB&J but with cashew butter and fig jam) is to die for. They have a great draft beer list too.



8. Forever Yogurt - 1924 W. North Ave.

It took the dog days of summer to hit to get me into this little frozen yogurt shop down the street from where I live, but I picked the perfect first day to do it. It was hot, sunny, and begging for a cool-down. I expected a more straightforward yogurt store when I walked in, but their concept is the best part about them. You choose between all of these different rotating flavors of yogurt, serve yourself, and then head to the topping bar to load up on whatever toppings tickle your fancy. I especially love the shredded coconut flavor. It's the perfect canvas for a mountain of fresh fruit toppings. I like them all. Raspberries, blackberries, pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries. You name it, they've got it.



7. Santullos - 1943 W. North Ave.


There's nothing fancy about Santullos. But in a city full of deep dish cheese pie parading as pizza, I was thrilled to find a place that served a New York style slice, complete with a foldable thin crust. All that's missing is a vat of blue cheese dressing to dip it in. The pizza's pretty darn good, even compared to some of my favorite pizza parlors back in actual New York (upstate, anyway). I've also eaten a few of their salads, which come in generous portions and are delicious, if a little overdressed. And that's not a great thing when it comes to their balsamic vinaigrette, which has got to be 95 per cent vinegar. Ask for it on the side and pour carefully.

6. caffe DeLuca - 1721 N. Damen


The only reason we found this place was because I got a Groupon. I saw that it was within a walkable distance of our apartment, had a patio, and served mimosas with Sunday brunch, and went ahead and hit the "buy" button. I am so glad I did. This is one of those spots where the atmosphere made me feel like I was actually in Italy. Okay, that's not true. Nothing could be quite as good as actually being in Italy. But what with the crumbling walls (for effect, people. Not for real) and the clotheslines strung across the dining room walls, it was easy to imagine myself in an Italian alleyway. We ended up sitting at the bar for coffee and on the patio for brunch and mimosas. I remember thinking the mimosas were a bit small (although I think any mimosa smaller than an actual carton of orange juice is a bit stingy) but the food was amazing. When Alex and I eat brunch together, we usually order a sweet and a savory dish and split them. I'm pretty sure we got the frittata special and the French toast topped with mascarpone and berries.I practically licked the plates clean. Both of them. So delicious.

Check in for more tomorrow!





3 comments:

Rachel said...

Have you ever been to Brown Trout? My bro works there. Mmm anywhere that has good mac and cheese is a winner in my book.

Megan said...

I haven't been to Brown Trout, but I just looked it up and the food sounds amazing! We need one more sweet discovery before we move in a month. Definitely going to try this one!

And if you love mac & cheese, you'll love my top restaurant choice -- they're version is to die for. Stay tuned!

Newlymeds said...

Great list! I agree with Rachel on the mac & cheese!